Friday, July 25, 2008

Teavana

Dear hubby and I are cleaning house over the weekend and we come across old gift cards that must be used before they start losing money (a real scam, in my humble opinion...how is it that a piece of plastic sitting in my drawer is costing the company $2 a month?). But I digress. We decide to hit the mall and have a little shopping spree.

As we walk around looking at all the stores we've never seen before, we come upon one that smells delicious. Teavana, the sign reads. Hmmm, I wonder silently, is that tea from Cuba? Is that legal? (Once again, not so quick.) Hubby asks if I would like to go in. Sure...smells great - besides, I love those little teapot sets. Too bad I don't like the stuff that you make with them.

The shop is gleaming with shiny shelves and teapots, all set up in little groups on trays. It looks as good as it smells, and I'm excited to look at dragon teapots and the beautiful patterns in the glaze. A friend wants to take a pottery class...as I look in awe at the craftsmanship, I want to join her. A teaologist* approaches us and begins asking us what we are looking for - a bit aggressive, but very friendly and helpful. She ushers us to a tasting station.

They have five teas to try: a mate vana / chai blend, a rooibos tropica blended with jasmine green tea, a monkey-picked (for real?) oolong, and two fruity iced teas. I play along and try the teas, but I'm really just being polite.

That's when it hit me. Tea tastes good! No, better than good. This tea is superb!!! I've never tasted anything like them, especially the mate vana/chai and rooibos tropica/jasmine green teas. Why, if it tastes like this, I'll happily toss the soda aside and drink tea every day.

That's exactly what I did. We pondered the gift pack, the teapots, the tea spoons (so that's how they got their name!), and, of course, the tea. Our friendly and attentive teaologist shows me a neat 2-cup pot that is very convenient for work, since you can set the pot on a cup and it drains through a strainer in the bottom. No pouring! I'm excited at the prospect of having easy tea at work. I buy it. And a spoon. And then, it's time to decide on the tea.

This place is like an adult candy shop. The teas are in these huge tins in individual cubbies along the back wall. Various workers grab tins for customers and open them, showing off the gorgeous leaves, flowers, and dried fruit. Then they waft the lid over the tea and give the customers a whiff of heavenly florals and sumptuous fruits. I am transported, finally understanding the name of the store. Teavana, indeed.

We buy a pound of various teas, all individually wrapped in little 2-ounce bags. Very expensive, but if I drink it, it's all worth it. We get a lesson in how to brew tea...we are both shocked to learn that pouring freshly boiled water over a teabag and letting it sit that way until it's cool enough to drink is the main reason our teas usually taste like crap. Ok, I promise to make tea the right way from now on. As long as it promises to taste that good all the time.

As we are selecting, I try to remember what I'm supposed to be drinking. Let's see...green tea helps reduce levels of testosterone in the body, or does it regulate blood sugar? Oolong is supposed to help reduce appetite. Black tea is caffeinated (not a requirement to treat PCOS, just my own personal demon). Spearmint tea definitely reduces testosterone - studies have proven that drinking lots of spearmint tea reduces hair growth in hirsute women. http://www.news-medical.net/?id=22071

I start with green tea and black tea. I have mint tea at home, and the oolong is just not worth the price at this time. I vow to start every day with black tea, drink green tea in the afternoon, and finish off every day with some soothing mint tea. We leave the store, and I am more hopeful about my health than I've been in a long time.

Coming up: Tea Time

*Teaologist = someone who is knowledgeable in tea

No comments: